Written by: Mufti Farooq Meeruti Saheb
Translated by: Mufti Zubair Bayat
Approved by: Mufti Mahmood Hasan Gangohi Saheb
1. HEAPS OF DISGRACE
"Verily Allah does not change the condition of a people unless they
change it themselves." 13/11.
The Muslim is daily faced by a host of new problems and difficulties.
Now and again, reports of untold oppression and barbarism against
Muslims are received. Their lives, property and self-respect is trampled
upon and worse than that, their religious matters are tampered and
interfered with, their Musjids are under constant threat of being
converted into temples and are disallowed proper implementation of their
(Muslim) personal law.
2. OUR BLINDNESS
Despite this, the Muslim considers these to be chance occurrences or
mere coincidences, thus never pausing to even consider the actual cause
and reason behind this suffering. At the most, a few concerned souls,
who are momentarily stirred by this state of affairs, call up some fancy
conference, pass a few vague resolutions and disappear back into
oblivion, contented that they have fulfilled their duties towards Islam.
3. THE DIAGNOSIS
A dire need exists for us to study the Qur'aan and Hadith and thereby
realize the primary cause for our disgrace and downfall. It is an
undisputed axiom of reality that no incident occurs in this Universe
accidentally. We as Muslims believe that every occurrence is directly by
the command and doing of Almighty Allah. However, every occurrence has
been assigned an outward cause, that apparently seems to control and
govern it. Thus our difficulties are also governed by causes which Allah
and His Rasul (Sallallahu alaihi wasallam) have explained to us in the
Quran and Hadith:
* "And whatever calamity befalls you, it is due to your own doings
and Allah forgives many of your shortcomings." 42/30.
At another juncture:
* "Corruption has spread on water and land due to the doings of
mankind. In order that Allah make them taste the penalty of some of
their doings. Perhaps they may retract. (from their disobedience)
At another juncture:
* Why would Allah punish you if you were grateful and believed. And
Allah is Most appreciative, All-Knowing. 4/147.
All these verses indicate that the chastisement of Allah is the direct
result of our disobedience, ungratefulness and transgression. On the
other hand, if we are obedient and grateful, no punishment will overtake
Proper appreciation of Allah's bounties is the correct utilization of
these favours. To utilize life, health, faculties of sight, hearing,
feeling, thinking, locomotion, finances, status and position, all for
the pleasure of Allah and in accordance with His commandments is true
appreciation of Allah's bounties. The anti-thesis of this is
ungratefulness, which invites the wrath and displeasure of Allah.
5. HEAVENLY BLESSINGS (BARKAH)
Adopting a life of taqwa (piety) i.e. fulfilling all the commands of
Shariah and abstaining from the prohibitions is the cause of blessings
descending from the heavens.
* "If the people of the locality had believed and adopted taqwa
(piety), We would have opened upon them the blessings of the heavens and
the earth, but they denied and falsified, thus We seized them due to
their actions." 7/96.
There are innumerous ayaat and ahadith to this effect.
6. THE CONSEQUENCES OF SIN
With regards to the verse:
* "And whatever calamity befalls you, it is due to your own doings."
Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa Sallam) explained the tafsir of this
ayat to Hazrat Ali (RA) thus:
* "0 Ali! whatever calamity befalls you; illness, afflication or any
worldly calamity; it is the earning of your own hands."
* Hazrat Hasan (R) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa
Sallam) said: "By Him in whose control is my life! Any scratch,
twitching of veins, slipping of the foot or a flying stone suddenly
striking the body; all are due to the committing of sins".
* Hazrat Abu Musa (RA) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa
Sallam) said: "A wound or any slighter calamity is due to the commission
* Hazrat Imraan bin Husain (RA) once felt ill. People came to pay him
a visit and expressed their condolences. He replied: "What is achieved
by condolences? This is due to some sin I have committed."
* Hazrat Dahhak (RA) reports that: "A person who forgets the Quran
after learning it is due to committing sins." Thereafter he recited this
verse and said: "What could be a greater calamity than forgetting the
* Once Hazrat Asma binte Abu Bakr (RA) experienced a headache. She
exclaimed: "This is due to my sins." - DurreManthoor, Ibne-Katheer.
7. OUR CONDITION
Let us now examine our lifestyles. Salat which has been described as the
criterion between Imaan and Kufr (disbelief) how much does it feature in
the life of the Muslims? How many are there who are punctual with their
How many adhere to the other basic requirements of Islam such as
Fasting, Zakat and Hajj? On the otherhand, consider the prohibitions of
Islam; those actions that Shariah has declared Haram and a source of
Divine curses and harsh reprisals. How many Muslims are engrossed in
these day and night? How many have adopted these as part of their
Let us consider liquor for example. The Quran has repeatedly forbidden
the intake of liquor.
* Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa Sallam) has cursed anyone
associated with liquor in anyway.
He has cursed the consumer, the stockist, the manufacturer, the
marketer, the buyer, the seller, the transporter, the receiver and those
that derived any income from it.
* In one hadith it has been titled as "The root to all evil."
9. INTEREST AND USURY
* The Quran has declared the prohibition of interest. The Quran has
equated the usage of interest tantamount to declaring war upon Allah and
His Rasul [sallallaahu alaihi wasallam]
* The hadith has classified interest a conglomeration of 73 sins; the
slightest of these being equal to fornicating with one's own mother
* One hadith warns that the consumer of interest will rise as a
lunatic on the Day of Qiyamah.
* Another hadith warns that the part of the human body that was
nourished by haram income, will not enter Jannah.
* One hadith states that the nation that has taken to fornication and
interest should await the chastisement of Allah.
Let us now consider how clear our dealings and transactions are!
Interest forms an integral part of our business dealings. Worse than
that, desperate attempts are being made to even legalise it (Islamically).
10. VARIOUS MAJOR SINS
* Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wasallam) said:
"When my ummah will be involved in fifteen activities, then
calamities will descend upon them:
1. Public finances will be regarded as personal property
2. Amanat (Trust) will be abused
3. Zakat will be considered a tax (burden)
4. Wives will be obeyed
5. Mothers will be disobeyed
6. Friends will be well-treated
7. Parents will be ill-treated
8. Noise and commotion will be common in Musjids
9. Unqualified persons will occupy positions of responsibility
10. Respect will be shown to some people merely to escape their tyranny
11. Liquor will be consumed openly
12. Men will don silk garments
13. Singing girls will be available (for entertainment)
14. Musical instruments will be rampant
15. The Pious predecessors will be reviled and vituperated; The ummah
should then await hurricanes, earthquakes and transformation of some
people (into animals).
Hazrat Abdullah bin Abbas (RA) states:
* The nation that is involved in misappropriation of trust
(embezzlement), Allah will fill their hearts with terror for their
enemies. The nation that is engaged in fornication, will experience
great numbers of death. The nation that cheats in measure, will have
their sustenance curtailed. The nation that legislates against the truth
and justice, will experience great bloodshed and the nation that breaks
it's contracts, will be subdued by the enemy." - Mishkaat.
N.B. Which of these sins are not the daily life - style of most Muslims
today? It is no cause of surprise if we are now afflicted by various
* Hazrat Abdullah bin Umar (RA) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu
alaihi wasallam) said: "O Muhajireen! Five things are such that if
you are involved in them, may Allah not cause you to be involved in
them, then the punishment of Allah will descend upon you. The nation
that is openly involved in zina (fornication) will become afflicted by
plague and other such diseases that were never heard of before.
Those that cheat in measuring, will be afflicted by poverty, hardship
and oppression. Those that default in the paying of zakat, will be
afflicted by drought. Had it not been for the animals, not a drop of
rain would have fallen. Those that transgress the bounds of Allah and
His Rasul, will be overcome by the enemy. As for those that legislate
unjustly, they will be involved in internicine fighting.
* It is also reported in a hadith that fornication and adultery
* Many ahadith report curses upon the briber and the accepter of bribes
and even upon the intermediary in such dealings.
* In one hadith, it is reported that the nation that breaks it's
promises will be involved in internal strife and conflicts.
* In one hadith it is reported that those accustomed to dealings in
bribery will become greatly awe-struck and fearful (of everyone).
13. FALSE OATHS
* It is reported in one hadith that the sin that is extremely swift
in inviting the punishment of Allah is oppression and false oaths. This
causes wealth to be destroyed and women to become barren (that such
people have no off-spring) and annihilates entire populations (by high
14. DISOBEDIENCE TO PARENTS
* In one hadith it is reported that Allah withholds punishments until
He desires, but disobedience to parents brings instant chastisement and
the punishment is meted out before death even.
* In one hadith it is narrated: Remain chaste, your wives will also
remain chaste and be obedient towards your parents, your children will
be obedient to you.
15. ENJOINING RIGHT AND FORBIDDING EVIL
* It is reported in one hadith that Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa
By Him in whose control is my life! You should continue to enjoin the
right and forbid the wrong, else Allah will descend such a punishment
upon you, that you will make dua unto Him and He will not accept your
* In one hadith it is reported that Allah does not punish a whole
community on the sins of a small group of people, until these people
transgress openly, before such people who have the power of preventing
them and yet do not do so. The punishment of Allah then overtakes all.
The duas of the pious will then be of no avail to anyone.
N.B. It is due to overlooking such regulations that day by day, we are
observing greater calamities, disasters, destruction, violence,
diseases, accidents involving planes, trains, ships and cars. Now that
the regulations of Amr bil Ma'roof Nahi anil Munkar (Enjoining right and
forbidding evil) have been almost totally discarded, there is no hope of
even acceptance of our duaas.
16. OPPRESSION AND INJUSTICE
* It is reported in one hadith: Do not oppress else your duas will be
* In one hadith: Allah grants respite to the oppressor; but when He
seizes him, he cannot escape punishment.
* In one narration: The dua of the oppressed is accepted even though
he be a sinner or even a disbeliever.
* In one hadith: He that does not show mercy upon the creation, Allah
will not show mercy upon him. Hazrat Sufyan Thauri (R) reports that:
Once the Banu Israeel were terribly afflicted by famine for seven years.
They eventually began to consume the meat of dead animals and finally
human corpses. Out of sheer desperation they climbed upon mountain tops
and cried out in anguish. Allah Ta'ala revealed to one of their Nabis
that had they to raise their hands right into the sky and had their
tongues dried out, I will not accept their duas until they do not return
the rights of the oppressed amongst them.
N.B. Let us now consider the present condition of oppression throughout
the world and understand the extent of Allah's displeasure with us.
* It is reported in one hadith: Charity does not decrease wealth,
forgiveness increase's ones respect and begging opens the door of
18. DISHONOURING THE ULAMA
* It is reported in one hadith: When my ummah will despise their
Ulema, be extravagant in beautifying their businesses and will consider
marriage proposals on the basis of wealth, then Allah will afflict them
with four punishments: drought, oppression, misappropriation of their
wealth by their leaders and enemy - attacks.
* Hazrat Ali (RA) reports that the worldly chastisement for
committing sins is: Lethargy in worship, restriction in sustenance and
decrease in pleasure.
* Hazrat Anas (RA) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa Sallam)
said: Be meticulous in performing wuzu (with all it's ettiquettes),
your lifespan will increase and your protecting angels will love you;
observe your (nafl) prayers in your home, it will enhance the blessings
of your home and make salaam to your family when you enter your home,
the blessings of it will permeate you and your family.
* Where we constantly complain about "hard times" and poverty, have we
ever pondered on what Allah Ta'ala has to say: O son of Adam! Free
yourself for My ibadah, I will fill your heart with contentment and
independence, and I will remove your poverty. If you do not do so, I
will engross you in your occupations and (yet) I will not remove your
poverty. * In one hadith it is narrated: If my servants obey me
dutifully, I will send rain at night and sunshine during the day (that
they be not frightened by the lightning and thunder).
22. OUR EXAMPLE
How cruel have we been upon ourselves that due to our sins we are
constantly involving ourselves in disasters and calamities? At the same
time, we continuously lament and wail away at our pathetic condition.
Our example is like that of a person suffering from diahorrea and yet
continues to take laxatives, complaining all the time of diahorrea. What
could be said to such a fool?
23. OPPRESSIVE LEADERS
* In a similar way, today we complain about the oppression of our
leaders, whereas these leaders have been appointed over us due to our
transgressions. The only salvation from them is through taubah and
perfect obedience to Allah's commands.
* Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa Sallam) said: Just as you are
(your actions are) so will your rulers be.
* In another hadith, it is reported:
I am Allah, there is no deity besides Me, I am the King of Kings and
the Master of Kings, the heart of Kings are within My control; when My
servants are obedient to me, I make their rulers kind-hearted towards
them; when they disobey Me, I turn their rulers against them with anger
and tyranny, they then oppress them severly. Therefore, instead of
cursing them, turn towards me in remembrance and submission, I will
protect you against their tyranny.
* In the Quran, Allah Ta'ala states:
"And thus We subjugate some oppressors to other (oppressors) due to
their doings." 6/129. There are various views to this ayat;
* Hazrat A'amash's view is that when people's actions become corrupt,
then Allah appoints the most oppressive people as leaders over them.
* In one hadith it is reported that: When Allah desires the felicity
of a nation; He makes the tolerant amongst them their leaders, the Ulema
their arbitrators and the generous their wealthy and on the other hand,
when He desires the torment of a nation; He appoints their foolish as
their leaders, the ignorant as arbitrators and the miserly as their
* In one hadith it is reported: Do not engross yourselves in cursing
and abusing your rulers; in fact you should gain the proximity of Allah
(through obedience) and make dua on their behalf, Allah will turn their
hearts towards you in mercy and kindness.
* A pious person once overheard someone cursing Hajjaaj (the notorious
tyrant). He prevented him from this, saying: Whatever is happening is
the result of your own actions. I fear that if Hajjaaj is deposed or
expires, monkeys and swine be made rulers over you.
* It is a popular adage: "Your actions are your rulers." In other
words, depending on your actions, will your rulers treat you.
* If the prince is rebellious, the king will appoint an ordinary citizen
to whip him. The prince will be totally helpless to take any action
against him, because he is backed by the king. His salvation is only in
entreating the king for mercy and apologizing to him. Now, let alone an
ordinary citizen, not even a high-ranking minister or official has the
right to touch the prince. This is the example of the Muslim ummah. If
we are disobedient to Allah, He appoints the weakest of nations upon us.
They torture and oppress us most mercilessly. Our only salvation is by
turning to Allah in sincere regret and repentance. Then no nation, not
even the so called "superpowers" will have the courage to stare at us!
Time and again, we are crushed by disasters and calamities, our laments,
complaints and wailing never ends, y t when our shortcomings are pointed
out to us, we remain totally indifferent and heedless, Never have we
even attempted to bring about any reform within ourselves. Never have we
attempted to avoid those destructive sins and crimes that are the direct
sources of our misery and suffering. It is most astonishing that when an
ordinary doctor warns of some epidemic, we are hasty to innoculate
ourselves; when an ordinary labourer warns about the presence of a
poisonous snake in the vicinity, not even the bravest person will
venture in that direction; yet when Allah and His Rasul are consistently
guiding us towards our success and warning us against our destruction
(with the greatest of concern and sincerity) we remain totally unmoved
and heedless; and we plunge headlong into those very pitfalls of
* Our only road to success and glory is total obedience to Allah and His
Rasul, and following step-by-step the path treaded by our pious
24. JUNGLES CLEARED
* History proves that this is how the Muslim will attain victory and
glory over the world. This is how the Muslims of yonder, despite being
in the minority, conquered city after city, country after country, and
ruled the world over centuries. Then not only did they rule over land
and people; they even ruled over animals and the elements of nature.
* When the army of the Sahaba stood on the shore of Africa's formidable
jungles, then the commander-in-chief, Hazrat Uqba (RA) made an
announcement to the speechless inhabitants of the jungle: O denizens of
the jungle! We are the Sahaba on our mission. We request you to clear
this jungle. After this ultimatum if any of you are found herein, we
will kill you! Hardly was this announcement completed, that streams of
deadly animals, herding away their young ones, were seen exiting the
jungle as swiftly as possibly.
25. LIONS TAMED
* A Sahabi, Hazrat Safinah (RA) once lost his way and strayed away into
a jungle. Suddenly a lion appeared. He introduced himself to the lion
and explained his plight to it. Waging it's tail like a subdued puppy,
the lion led the way for him, growling away any would-be attackers, and
finally led him to a clearing where an army of the Sahaba (RA) was
26. SEAS SUBJUGATED
* In the battle of Madain, the Sahaba needed to cross a stormy sea in
order to reach the enemy shores. There were no ships available. Hazrat
Sa'd (RA) instructed his army to plunge into the sea in pairs of two.
The horses pranced across the water most calmly. Hazrat Sa'd (RA) was
heard saying: Verily Allah will certainly assist His friends; Allah will
certainly grant them victory over their enemies until they do not commit
injustices or until their vices do not overpower their virtues.
* Similar is the incident of Hazrat Ala bin Hadhrami (RA), who crossed
the sea with an army of four thousand soldiers. Such was their crossing,
that not even did the hooves of the horses become wet.
* Yet a slight error from even the Sahaba (RA) led to difficulties and
suffering. The battle of Uhud is a classical example. A winning
battle almost resulted in defeat merely because a few Sahaba erred in
carrying out the instructions of Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa Sallam)
to the letter.
* In the battle of Hunain, a boastful remark by some soldiers
resulted in severe setback for the Muslims. Through the graces of Allah,
they were ultimately victorious.
* In the battle against the Murtads (renegades) of the Bani Hanifah;
a chance remark by Hazrat Khalid (RA) almost turned the tables, and the
Muslims had to put up with most formidable resistance.
* At times, discarding a sunnah resulted in the frustrating delay of
victory. The Sahaba (RA) constantly feared any violation of the Shariah,
realizing that this produced adverse effects on their victory and
success. For this reason, the Khalifa always emphasised upon them the
importance of the teachings of Shariah.
* Hazrat Umar (RA) thus advised Hazrat Utbah bin Ghazwan (RA) after
appointing him commander of the army: Adhere strictly to taqwa
(piety) and justice in all your decisions. Offer your salat punctually
and engage excessively in remembrance (zikr) of Allah.
* Hazrat Umar (RA) handed a memorandum to his governors, emphasizing the
importance of salat upon them: Salat is the most important regulation
of Islam; if you can uphold it meticulously, the rest of Islam will be
easy to practice. The person that is neglectful of it, will
certainly neglect the rest of Deen.
* Even Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa Sallam), at the time of
hardship and crisis, used to resort immediately to salaat.
* Hazrat Abu Darda (RA) reports that when a strong wind used to blow,
Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa Sallam) would enter the Masjid and
resort to salat until the storm subsided.
* Many Sahaba (RA) report similar narrations of his hastening towards
salat at times of calamity, fear or darkness.
* One Sahabi reports that this was the habit of all the previous
Ambiya (AS) and the majority of the Sahaba (RA).
29. OPPRESSION - IT'S RESULTS.
History is replete with incidents of the destruction of the oppressor
and the alleviation of the oppressed. Did Allah not disgrace Namrud at
the hands of his populace and destroy him through an insignificant
* Did He not protect His friend, Hazrat Ibrahim (AS) from the blazing
inferno and convert it into a garden of bliss? Thus Allah assists the
oppressed and destroys the oppressors.
* Did Allah not crush the proud and mighty Firaun and elevate the
oppressed and down-trodden Bani Israel?
* Did Allah not preserve the Little boy that was so mercilessly hurled
into a deserted well, sold for a few coins, who was falsely accused and
imprisoned and finally elevate him to the throne of Egypt and honour him
with the crown of Nubuwat? (Hazrat Yusuf (AS)
* Did Allah not humble and subjugate the proud and haughty Meccans that
forced His beloved and his companions out of their birthplaces? Did He
not bring the day of glorious victory at the conquest of Makkah when the
arch-enemy were running helter-skelter out of terror, begging for. mercy
* On the other, the ungrateful citizens of Iraq, constantly harrassed
their just and compassionate rulers; as a result, Allah appointed
Hajjaaj bin Yusuf over them, whose tyranny, cruelty and harshness knew
30. LESSONS OF HISTORY
* History bears ample testimony to the fact that so long as the Muslims
continued to uphold the Quran and ahadith in their daily lives,
countries, nay empires crumbled at their feet. Small bands of devout
Muslims were sufficient to terrorize and demolish mighty forces.
Emperors of superpowers trembled at the mere thought of the Muslims.
* Yet these very victors of mighty empires, when they succumbed to
comforts and luxuries, discarded the Quran and Hadith, resorted to
oppression and cruelty of their subjugates, became power-drunk and
arrogant and indulged openly in wine and women; fell from the glorious
pinnacles of civilization and progress to the abyss of disgrace and
31. TRAGEDY OF BAGHDAD
* Baghdad that had enjoyed the position of capital of the mighty Islamic
empire for decades, makes a tragical lesson of history for the Muslims.
The superficial Muslims of this grand city that was the home of great
educational institutions (Darul Ulooms) and spiritual reformatories (khanqahs),
and the seat of science, technology, research, arts and skills, resorted
to oppression of the non-muslim population of their city. They were
denied the basic human rights and benefits that Islam so magnanimously
confers upon the non-muslim inhabitants of a Muslim state. When this
injustice reached an unbearable stage, an old man from the non-Muslims,
climbed a nearby mountain and in sheer helplessness, called out to the
"God of the Muslims", whom the Muslims claimed was so Just and
Compassionate, to assist the oppressed and down-trodden. A voice from
the unseen called out to him:
"Prepare yourselves and attack! We will assist you." The non-muslims
made a sudden and a most terrific onslaught upon the Muslims. So
terrible was the result of the carnage that only 600 000 survived out of
a total of 2 million. 1,4 million were massacred in no time. One non-muslim,
single handedly slaughtered a contingent of 150 fully armed Muslim
soldiers. A non-muslim woman killed 50 Muslim soldiers all on her own.
This was in revenge for the years of oppression they were made to
suffer. Allah turned the tables, and granted victory to the down trodden
nation of the oppressed, for verily, He is Rabbul Aalemeen, The Lord of
the Universe - not only of the Muslims. The non-muslims are also His
creation and subjects.
* Thereafter, this marauding band of non-muslim victors, held a
conference. All were unanimous that it was the "God of the Muslims" that
answered their plea and call for assistence. They thus concluded that
such a god was truly worthy of worship. The Muslims were disobedient to
their god and never abided to the teachings of their religion, thus they
were disgraced. Hence, Islam was a true religion. They unanimously
decided to accept Islam and ruled over the Islamic empire for centuries
(over 17 generations). It is the law of Allah: "If, you turn away, He
will replace you with another nation. They will not be (disobedient)
like you." 47/38.
32. THE BLOODY HISTORY OF INDIA
* The rise and fall of Muslim rule in India is a heart-rendering lesson
of History for the Muslims. A mere force of 12000 men, conquered this
mighty land. Year after year, Muslims progressed and thrived. Their
rulers were, just, kind and pious. For centuries they held sway over
this huge empire. Degeneration slowly set in and the Muslim rulers fell
prey to comfort, luxury and pleasures. They ignored the affairs of
state. Soon corruption and oppression became rife and in a short time,
Muslim rule was sliding down the muddy path of degeneration and rushing
headlong towards total disintegration. Hazrat Shah Waliullah (R) in his
spiritual farsightedness and political insight, went door-to-door,
throught the streets of the Muslims capital, Delhi and warned the people
of imminent disaster. "O my People! Abstain from the disobedience of
Allah. I have visions of rivers of blood flowing down the streets of
Delhi." People laughed him off and swept aside his entreating, most
disdainfully, as the raving and ranting of a mad "mullah"!
* Eventually, the dreaded disaster dawned. The enemy attacked and
overnight, thousands were massacred. The streets of Delhi were a ghastly
sight. Human corpses lined the streets and "rivers of blood flowed down
the streets of Delhi." Other corpses were dumped into the Jamna River,
(a massive river of India) that resulted in a blockage of the water flow
(imagine the number of bodies to cause such an obstruction). The entire
river water turned red with human blood. This is the tragic but true
tale of the Muslims of India.
33. SLUMBER OF THE MUSLIM NATION
* With great regret and sorrow it has to be noted that despite all these
upheavels, the Muslim nation continues to slumber away. Never have they
taken lesson from their past and never have they formulated a directive
and a goal for the future. Never have we pondered over the vissisitudes
of life; the daily lessons of the change of tides in the affairs of the
world. Despite being totally insignificant in the affairs of the world
and in the eyes of the non-muslims, we continue to labour away in this
false sense of pride that we once ruled the world. The Muslims continue
to lead a sedentary existence of listlissness, heedlessness, indulgence
in luxuries and pleasures, false pride and vainglory, sin, crime and
transgression, oppression and exploitation, ignorance in trade,
commerce, science and technology. On the other hand they are involved in
mutual hatred, enmity, racism, discrimination, embroiled against each
other in court cases and law-suits. Their ignorance of religion compels
them to uphold meaningless customs and rituals and competing against
each other in these, they spend lavish and large sums of money,
involving themselves at times in massive debts accompanied by hefty
percentages of interest. Ultimately they have to sell hearth and home to
alleviate these crushing financial disasters and land up as penniless
paupers on the side of streets. Due to lethargy and indolence they are
not prepared to undertake labour or any menial occupations and finally
end up as the scum and scavengers of society - abject beggars at the
doors of all and sundry. What a dismal picture! When will we awake?
34. THE CURE
* This is merely a framework and a totally elementary programme for
general upliftment and reform of the Muslim ummah.
1. Every Muslim, male and female, must immediately resolve to at least
fulfill the basic requirements of Islam, salat in particular.
2. A massive educational programme to be specially launched on an
organized basis with emphasis on religious education and education of
3. Basing our social life on the sunnah and our economical activities
solely on the laws of Shariah.
4. Total abstention from mutual conflicts and in fighting.
5. In case of contention, to amicably solve any problems through proper
6. Encouragement of business, trade and skills.
7. Dissociation from all customs and rituals at the time of birth,
marriages, funerals and other occasions.
8. Particular emphasis on cleanliness, tidiness, health education and
May Allah grant all Muslims the good of both the worlds. Aameen.
Mufti Z. Bayat
Article taken (with Thanks) from Darul-Ihsan Research and Education Center
| Browse Central-Mosque.com
regularly update this site so visit us frequently